Global Online Teaching Fellowship
The VIPTeach Global Online Teaching Fellowship is a virtual service and professional learning program designed to equip early and mid-career professionals with technology, pedagogical, and cross-cultural skills required of 21st century education leaders.
The application for the fall 2021 cohort will be open though September 1, 2021.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is VIPTeach?
VIPTeach is a U.S. 501(c)(3) public charity founded by Cindy Mi, former teacher and Founder and CEO of VIPKid, a global education technology company.
VIPTeach empowers educators with technology and professional learning to drive innovation and equity in education. VIPTeach gives education leaders support, skills, and opportunities to break down barriers that prevent many children from accessing quality education.
What is the VIPTeach Global Online Teaching Fellowship?
The VIPTeach Global Online Teaching Fellowship is a virtual service and professional learning program designed to equip early and mid-career professionals with technological, pedagogical, and cross-cultural skills required of 21st century education leaders.
The Global Online Teaching Fellowship aims to attract diverse education sector talent through a selective, unique part-time online fellowship. The Global Online Teaching Fellowship aspires to build a pipeline of tech-savvy and culturally competent education professionals prepared to leverage technology to provide all students with the quality education they need to succeed.
During the program, Fellows gain practical online instructional experience teaching English virtually to K-12 students who otherwise would not have access. Throughout the online teaching experience, Fellows are supported by professional learning opportunities that include collaborative learning and coaching among peers in the U.S. and abroad through the professional learning community (PLC) model, as well as a virtual workshop and guest speaker series leveraging the expertise of the VIPTeach community and partners.
The Fellow pathway is designed to expose a diverse group of education professionals to online teaching to benefit the students and communities they intend to serve in their education careers. Fellows seek to deepen their own professional development and education leadership experience as coaches and mentors to each other. All Fellows are education professionals who plan to use the Fellowship to better serve their communities and the field as leaders in classroom teaching, school administration, education policy, education technology, and other education sector roles.
- Novice Online Educators
- Early and mid-career professionals with no experience teaching students online
- Eligible to return as Experienced Fellows upon successful completion of two consecutive semesters of service
What are the eligibility criteria to participate in the Global Online Teaching Fellowship?
- Bachelor’s degree
- Eligibility to work in the U.S. and/or Canada
- Minimum of one of the following current certifications:
- U.S. or Canadian teaching license
- Graduate degree in education or related fields AND minimum of two years of teaching experience or the equivalent in mentoring, tutoring, or alternative education
- Experience teaching English to speakers of other languages
- International experience; exposure to non-U.S. educational systems
- Experience using video conferencing technology
- Interest in education technology
What are the benefits of becoming a Global Online Teaching Fellow?
Global service to promote education equity
- Provide access to quality online instruction to underserved classrooms
Professional learning and career development
- Peer-to-peer learning, mentoring, coaching
- Practical experience in online instruction, digital pedagogy
- Professional Learning Stipend for professional conference, certificate, course, etc. during Fellowship period
- International and cross-cultural experience to build cultural competence
- Ongoing professional learning and networking opportunities
- Returning Fellows have the opportunity to take a role in advising the next cohort.
What is the commitment to participate in the Global Online Teaching Fellowship?
Global Online Teaching Fellows are accepted into the program once annually before the start of fall semester. Global Online Teaching Fellows will have a two semester commitment.
The Fellowship Program consists of two semesters (September-December and January-July) during which the Fellows participate in ongoing professional learning activities. Weekly hours dedicated to the Fellowship will be divided among training, instructional, and professional learning activities.
Fellows will be volunteering for Vello from the United Way. We will form a team and participate in training and onboarding for Vello during one of our first month’s meetings. Each class is 30 minutes of online tutoring using the Vello curriculum.
FALL 2021 CALENDAR
Onboarding – September 2021 (hours approximate)
- VIPTeach Fellowship Kickoff Meeting (1.5 hours)
- Online Teacher Coaching Sessions (ongoing)
- Vello onboarding and training (2 hours)
Online Instructional Experience – September-December 2021
Professional Learning Experience – September, 2021-July 2022
One (1) hours per week for all Fellows according to a schedule mutually agreed upon between Fellows and VIPTeach*
Professional learning activities include one-on-one coaching sessions between Novice and Experienced Fellows; peer observation including class review, feedback, and reflection activities for all Fellows; and a workshop and guest speaker series for all Fellows.
*Detailed calendar provided before each semester
What is the application and selection process for the Global Online Teaching Fellowship?
The application for the fall 2021 intake will close on September 1, 2021. Fellows will be selected and announced in late September, 2021. The application process is as follows:
- Application form – Applicants complete the Fellowship application form published on VIPTeach.org.
- Pre-recorded interview – Based on your application form, you may be invited to submit a pre-recorded interview. Criteria for the pre-recorded interview will be provided with your invitation.
- Selection Committee review – The Fellowship Selection Committee will select the Fellowship cohort.
The Global Online Teaching Fellowship will launch with a cohort of 30 Fellows in the fall of 2021. Fellow onboarding will take place in September and the official program will begin in October.
What are the selection criteria for the Global Online Teaching Fellowship?
The Global Online Teaching Fellowship seeks applicants of diverse backgrounds with education leadership aspirations in brick and mortar schools, online education, education policy, education technology, and other education sector roles.
Qualities of leaders who will drive innovation and equity in education:
Commitment to educational equity – Fellows believe that talent is universal and are committed to ensuring opportunity is as well. They are committed to increasing access to quality education for all students.
Growth mindset – Fellows believe that talents can be developed and have a desire to continue learning and improving. Fellows are reflective practitioners who are open to giving and receiving feedback. They exhibit resilience and perseverance in the face of challenges. They are creative, flexible problem-solvers who believe failure is part of learning.
Professionalism and career trajectory – Fellows demonstrate a commitment to a career in the education sector. They are goal-oriented, mission-driven professionals who demonstrate leadership, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
Values and attitude – Fellows value inclusion and embrace collaborative work in diverse teams. They have positive attitudes and easily build rapport with peers and students.
The Fellowship model is not the right fit for me, but I would like to support this initiative! Are there other ways to support the Fellowship program?
Thank you for your interest in VIPTeach! There are several ways to support our mission.
If you would like to support VIPTeach’s mission with a financial contribution, please click here to make an online donation. Monetary donations to VIPTeach, a 501(c)(3) U.S. public charity, are generally tax-deductible for U.S. taxpayers. Check with your tax advisor to confirm how to treat your donation.
You can also stay tuned for more information about ways to get involved by signing up for email updates at VIPTeach.org.
I’m a current/former VIPKid teacher. Can I participate in the Global Online Teaching Fellowship?
Yes. If you feel that the Fellowship model is a good fit for your interests and availability. All Fellows are education professionals who plan to use the Fellowship to better serve their communities and the field as leaders in classroom teaching, school administration, education policy, education technology, and other education sector roles.
What are the technical requirements to participate in the Fellowship?
All Fellows must have proper equipment and an internet connection to be able to deliver online lessons and actively participate in learning opportunities. While VIPTeach does not require any particular equipment or connection, VIPTeach recommends the following equipment and system settings in order to effectively teach online:
Well-functioning equipment and supplies needed to teach classes include, but aren’t limited to, microphone(s), camera(s), computer(s), and an internet connection with adequate speed.
Recommended system settings:
- Desktop, Laptop, MacBook, iPad, or Microsoft Surface
- Windows 7, 8 and 10; Mac OS 10.X or higher operating system (Linux and Chrome OS are NOT supported by VIPKid)
- ≥ Intel i5 processor
- ≥ 8GB RAM
- Wired high-speed internet connection of ≥ 25 Mb/s
- A headset (such as Logitech H151or H150)
- A webcam (such as Logitech C270 or Logitech C310) or a high-quality built-in camera
- A backup power supply and mobile hotspot in case you experience power outages or blackouts in your area
- A backup device such as an iPad
- A camera with a resolution of at least 2 megapixels is considered high-quality and well-functioning
- A blue or clear white-based light or lightbulb that is positioned to shine a light on your face
Get updates on the Fellowship
For more information, sign up for the VIPTeach newsletter