Last Updated: June 11, 2020
VIPTeach takes your privacy seriously. We want you to know how we collect, use, share, and protect your personal information.
Assistance for The Disabled
What personal information we collect
- Identifiers, including: real name, alias, postal address, telephone number, and email address.
- Categories Described in Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e) (except those already listed in “Identifiers” above), including:photograph if you are an Advisory Council Member or Fellowship participant.
- Financial Information, including:your payment card number and associated payment information to facilitate donations if you donate to VIPTeach.
- Internet Activity Information, including:time of submitting a question through the Site and time on web page.
- Professional or Employment-Related Information, including:education and employment history if you are an Advisory Council Member.
- Product and Service Usage Information, including:feedback andinformation you provide about VIPTeach’s products or services via surveys on the Site.
In addition, if you participate in, or apply to, our Global Online Teaching Fellowship program, we may collect:
- Identifiers: your signature, online identifier, driver’s license number or state identification card number, and passport number.
- Financial Information:your bank account name and number for direct deposits.
- Sensory Information: your video recordings during the application process and from the VIPKid platform (including, but not limited to, class recordings), and class participation information or statistics.
- Professional or Employment-Related Information:your education information.
The sources from which we collect your personal information
- VIPTeach collects personal information directly from the individual him/herself via the Site, over email, or through forms and surveys embedded in the Site.
- VIPTeach also collects Internet Activity Information through technology on the Site.
- For applicants to the Global Online Teaching Fellowship program, VIPTeach may collect application videos for the Fellowship Selection Committee to evaluate their application.
- For participants in the Global Online Teaching Fellowship program, VIPTeach may collect information from the VIPKid platform, such as class recordings, for professional learning purposes, as well as class participation information to ensure compliance with the requirements set forth for participation in the Global Online Teaching Fellowship program.
The purposes for which we use your personal information
Non-Profit Organization Purposes:
- Auditing related to a current interaction with the user and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting impressions to unique visitors and auditing compliance with the law.
- Detecting security incidents
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Short-term, transient use.
- Performing services, including providing customer service, processing donations and payments, verifying customer information, processing payments, and providing analytic services.
- Undertaking activities to maintain and improve the quality of a VIPTeach’s services, including reviewing questions and feedback.
- Communications about promotions, for example, by communicating about special events and surveys.
- Facilitating communications, for example, by collecting and organizing contact information, establishing means of communications, and communicating with current and prospective users, including regarding questions and feedback.
- Advisory Council Members: to recognize and share with the public the individuals and organizations that support VIPTeach’s mission in the capacity of strategic advisors.
- Global Online Teaching Fellowship Applicants: to collect and review information about applicants’ interests and eligibility to participate in the Fellowship program in order to select program participants; to communicate with applicants about their application status; for the Fellowship Selection Committee to evaluate applicants’ applying for the Global Online Teaching Fellowship program; to ensure compliance with the requirements set forth for participation in the Global Online Teaching Fellowship program.
- Global Online Teaching Fellowship Participants: to recognize and share with the public the individuals selected to participate in the Fellowship program; to deliver payment of the Fellowship stipend; to communicate with Fellows about program activities.
- Email Newsletter Subscriber: to communicate with subscribers on VIPTeach programs, events, and partnerships and solicit charitable donations to support the organization’s mission.
- Online Donors: to collect necessary information in order to process and document charitable donations to VIPTeach for individual donors’ records and records of VIPTeach.
- Compliance with the law.
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of VIPTeach, our users, or others.
How we share your personal information
- VIPTeach discloses personal information to government agencies, law enforcement, and other parties as required by law and as necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of VIPTeach, its subsidiaries or affiliates, employees, customers, and users.
- VIPTeach discloses Identifiers, Financial Information, and Product and Service Usage Information, to vendors and service providers as necessary for the business and commercial purposes listed above in Section 3.
- VIPTeach discloses Identifiers (such as name and email address), to VIPKid, as necessary, for purposes of establishing account access to the VIPKid platform for participants in the Global Online Teaching Fellowship program.
- For Global Online Teaching Fellowship Applicants, VIPTeach discloses Identifiers (such as name and email address), Sensory Information, and Professional or Employment-Related Information, to the Fellowship Selection Committee, for purposes of selecting participants in the Global Online Teaching Fellowship.
VIPTeach does not sell personal information.
How we protect your personal information
The security and confidentiality of your personal information is important to us. We have technical, administrative, and physical security measures in place to protect your personal information from unauthorized access or disclosure and improper use.
For example, we use Transport Security Layer (TSL) encryption to protect the data collection forms on our Site. In addition, we restrict access to your personal information. Only employees who need the personal information to perform a specific job (for example, a customer service representative) are granted access to personal information. Employees with access to personal information are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to close your browser after you have completed your visit to the Site.
Please note that despite our reasonable efforts, no security measure is ever perfect or impenetrable, so we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Your choices regarding your personal information
Please contact i[email protected] to access or correct your personal information.
International transfers of your personal information
For purposes of implementing the Global Online Teaching Fellowship Program, VIPTeach transfers personal information to China, where VIPKid is headquartered, and to the United States, where many of its staff are based. The data protection standards in the United States and China may differ from those in your country.
Your California Privacy Rights and How To Exercise Them
This California section applies only to the personal information of residents of the U.S. state of California. For purposes of this California section, “personal information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.
a. Your California Privacy Rights
- Right to Know: California consumers have the right to submit a verifiable request to know what personal information VIPTeach collects, uses, discloses, and sells.
- Right To Delete: California consumers have the right to submit a verifiable request for deletion of their personal information that VIPTeach has collected or maintains.
- Right to Opt Out of Sale: California consumers have the right to opt out of the sale of their personal information. California consumers under the age of 16 must opt in to the sale of their personal information, or their parent or guardian must opt in on their behalf. As noted above, VIPTeach does not sell personal information. In addition, VIPTeach does not have actual knowledge that it sells the personal information of anyone under 16 years of age.
b. How to Exercise Your Rights
VIPTeach will respond to requests in accordance with applicable law if it can verify the identity of the individual submitting the request. California consumers can exercise their rights to know and to delete by contacting [email protected].
c. How We Will Verify Your Request:
The processes that we follow to verify your identity when you make a request to know or a request to delete are described below. The relevant process depends on how and why the request is submitted.
If you submit a request by any means other than through a password-protected account that you created before the date of your request, the verification process that we follow will depend on the nature of your request as described below:
- Requests To Know Categories Or Purposes: If you request to know categories of personal information collected, sources, sales, or VIPTeach’s business or commercial purposes for use of your personal information, we will match at least two data points that you provide with your request to know, or in response to our request for verification information, against information about you we already have in our records and that we have determined to be reliable for purposes of verifying your identity. Examples of relevant data points include your mobile phone number, your zip code, or information about products or services that you have purchased from us.
- Requests To Know Specific Pieces Of Personal Information: We will match at least three data points that you provide with your request to know, or in response to our request for verification information, against information that we already have about you in our records and that we have determined to be reliable for purposes of verifying your identity. In addition, we will require you to sign a declaration under penalty of perjury that you are the California consumer whose personal information is the subject of the request.
- Requests To Delete Personal Information: Our process for verifying your identity will depend on the sensitivity (as determined by VIPTeach) of the personal information that you ask us to delete. For less sensitive personal information, we will require a match of two data points as described in Point No. 1, above. For more sensitive personal information, we will require a match of three data points and a signed declaration as described in Point No. 2, above.
We have implemented the following additional procedures when verifying the identity of requestors:
- If we cannot verify your identity based on the processes described above, we may ask you for additional verification information. If we do so, we will not use that information for any purpose other than verification.
- If we cannot verify your identity to a sufficient level of certainty to respond to your request, we will let you know promptly and explain why we cannot verify your identity.
d. Authorized Agents
You may designate an authorized agent to exercise your right to know or your right to delete by submitting to us a completed “Authorized Agent Designation” form. You can obtain the designation form by contacting us at [email protected].
If an authorized agent submits a request to know or a request to delete on your behalf, the authorized agent must submit with the request either (a) a power of attorney that is valid under California law, or (b) a document signed by you that authorizes the authorized agent to submit the request on your behalf. In addition, we may ask you to follow the applicable process described above for verifying your identity.
e. VIPTeach’s Non-Discrimination Policy
California consumers have the right not to be subject to discriminatory treatment by VIPTeach for exercising their privacy rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act, and VIPTeach will not discriminate on that basis.
f. Tracking Users Over Time And Across Sites:
We do not track your online activities over time and across websites or online services on an individually identifiable basis. We also do not allow third parties to use our Site to track your activities over time or across other websites.
Some web browsers incorporate a “Do Not Track” feature (DNT) that signals to the websites that you visit that you do not want to have your online activity tracked. Many websites and applications, including our Site, do not currently respond to web browser DNT signals because such signals are not yet uniform. For more information about DNT signals, please visit http://allaboutdnt.com.
CHILDREN’S ONLINE PRIVACY PROTECTION ACT COMPLIANCE
We do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. The Site and VIPTeach’s services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older. If you are under the age of 13, you are not authorized to use the Site.
For More Information
For questions or concerns about VIPTeach’s privacy policies and practices, please contact us at [email protected].